Re: Triggers on columns

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers on columns
Date: 2009-09-30 18:30:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 18:58 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>
> > Ok, the attached patch implements standard-compliant version of
> > column trigger.
>
> Here is an updated version of column-level trigger patch.
> I forgot to adjust pg_get_triggerdef() in the previous version.
> pg_dump also uses pg_get_triggerdef() instead of building
> CREATE TRIGGER statements to avoid duplicated codes if the
> server version is 8.5 or later.

What is the purpose of the new pg_get_triggerdef() variant?  OK, the
parameter name "pretty_bool" gives a hint, but what does this have to do
with column triggers?  Maybe you could try to explain this in more
detail.  Ideally split the patch into two: one that deals with
pg_get_triggerdef(), and one that deals with column triggers.

If you want a "pretty" option on pg_get_triggerdef(), you could nowadays
also implement that via a parameter default value instead of a second
function.