Re: Upgrade db format without older version of PostgreSQL

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Kelly Jones <kelly(dot)terry(dot)jones(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade db format without older version of PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-09-29 16:29:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 10:18 -0600, Kelly Jones wrote:
> An old version of the database format was found.
> You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.3.8/README.rpm-dist for more
> information.
>
> Unfortunately, I upgraded due to a hardware failure, and can't
> dump/undump, since I don't have the old PostgreSQL server anymore.
>
> Can I upgrade the data format w/o installing Postgres 7.2 (my
> "data/base/1/PG_VERSION" file says "7.2")?

You need to install 7.2 from sources, and start the server, and take the
dump using 8.3's pg_dump (and I'm not sure 8.3's pg_dump supports
dumping 7.2 server)...

Also, however, I bet 7.2 cannot be compiled on Fedora 11. The oldest PG
version that I could build on Fedora 11 was 8.0, IIRC. Apart from these,
dump/restore from 7.2 to 8.3 will probably not work.

So you should first install the old OS version, at least to take a dump.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com