Re: Databse installation problem

From: Tim Bowden <tim(dot)bowden(at)westnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bhushan Verma <verma(dot)bhushan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Databse installation problem
Date: 2009-09-22 09:32:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 11:24 +0530, Bhushan Verma wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your help.
> There was a problem related to server its picking the old server
> executable ie /usr/bin/postgres

Yes, that is what Gurjeet Singh suggested at the beginning and what I've
been trying to help you with.

> this is returning the version 8.3.1 therefore I am giving my postgres
> path now its showing correct version.
>
> Who is installed this /usr/bin/postgres executable?

Who installed it? No idea. You would get a much better response if you
asked your sysadmin. I strongly suspect no one on this list has touched
the machine.

> I have one more problem:

I would strongly recommend starting a new thread for a new problem.
Once people have decided a thread is not of interest to them they won't
see your new problem. You are much more likely to get an answer if you
start a new thread.

> I have installed the postgres 8.3.7 on Fedora 9 machine
> using PostgreSQL Installation Instructions.
>
> ./configure --prefix /var/lib/pgsql
>
> My question is that everything is fine but its not showing the
> directory
> /usr/include/pgsql that contains the server and headers file etc.
> This directoy is required to build any user application using the
> postgres.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes.
(see http://tinyurl.com./e6m6)

> One more question is there any RPM available for postgres 8.3.7.
> I tried to search on postgres site but its not available for 8.3.7.

Probably not. Fedora shiped with PostgreSQL 8.3.1 (as packaged by the
Fedora dev's, which would be the origin of /usr/bin/postgres you found).
If you are going to uninstall 8.3.1 then I would highly recommend using
yum to uninstall the rpm's. Simply deleting the directory concerned
will leave your packaging system in a broken state such that it may barf
if you try a system upgrade. Going off your previous posts, I suspect
you may have had two installs of 8.3.1 (one from the Fedora rpm's, and
one compiled from source in /urs/local/pgsql). I suspect you have been
using the rpm version if you're been starting and stopping it with the
script you supplied earlier.

Once again, I would recommend you don't top post; Even if you don't see
the problem with it, it is not all that uncommon for some old hands to
ignore posts from persistent top posters, and they're the ones most
likely to be able to help. you'll probably get more leeway for it on a
novice list, but don't expect it. See
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html or
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/bottom-posting.html for an
explanation.