Re: Logging configuration changes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging configuration changes
Date: 2009-08-28 21:38:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2009-08-26 at 22:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Seems to me it would be too chatty to be useful, at least for people who
> set more than one or two things in postgresql.conf. Would it be that
> hard to track which values actually changed? Without having looked at
> the code, I'm thinking that much of the infrastructure must be there
> already now that we have support for undoing commented-out settings.

Found an easy solution; see attached patch.

On a related note, I suggest reverting or revising this logging change:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=293c816e4aad8e760bcb4eaba0aa16da0ccd2d04
Putting the reason for an error or warning into the detail part is not
acceptable style, IMO.

Attachment Content-Type Size
log-parameter-changes.diff text/x-patch 1.4 KB