Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "WANGRUNGVICHAISRI, SHIVESH" <sbw(at)appsig(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4996: postgres.exe memory consumption keeps going up
Date: 2009-08-27 00:35:54
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 16:51 -0700, WANGRUNGVICHAISRI, SHIVESH wrote:

> So my claim that PostgreSQL was leaking memory was not true, and I do
> apologize.

No problem. That's why it's important to look into these things - so we
find out.

> However, I still insist that potentially the PostgreSQL community might
> want to look into why making use of libpq causes the client program's
> memory consumption to keep growing. This can be easily observed using
> the earlier test program uploaded to here:

I agree. I can reproduce the growth with your test program when I built
it from sources against 8.4.0's libpq and run it against an 8.4.0
server.

The source of the growth (leak?) isn't clear at the moment. It doesn't
seem to be the test code its self, nor is it clear how it could be. To
learn more I'm going to have to build PostgreSQL (or at least libpq)
from sources using VC++8 in debug mode with memory tracing enabled.

I'll also try building it on a Linux machine to see if it's a
Windows-specific issue.

Thanks for your persistence on this. I'll follow up in a bit when I've
learned more about what's going on with libpq.

--
Craig Ringer