Re: Logging configuration changes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging configuration changes
Date: 2009-08-26 23:32:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On sön, 2009-07-12 at 22:55 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On occasion, I would have found it useful if a SIGHUP didn't only log *that*
> it reloaded the configuration files, but also logged *what* had changed
> (postgresql.conf changes in particular, not so much interested in
> pg_hba.conf). Especially in light of the common mistake of forgetting to
> uncomment a changed value, this would appear to be useful.

Looked into this, looks trivial, except that this would log *all*
parameters that were set as a result of a reload, instead of only the
ones that changed. We don't have the information of what it was
previously readily available.

I think it would still be useful that way, but some people might find it
annoying.

Comments?