Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, ceccareb(at)talusmusic(dot)com, Brian Ceccarelli <ceccareb(at)talussoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .
Date: 2009-08-24 21:16:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On mån, 2009-08-24 at 20:10 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> It's completely email based so we could just treat it as a mailing
> list without having to go visit a web interface to stay up to date. We
> could add CVS/whatever hooks so whenever a commit message says it
> closes a bug it gets closed automatically.  Effectively it would
> require no operational changes for developers who would just
> participate on a mailing list and commit changes like usual.

Well, all you'd really need is that if you close a bug, you indicate
that say via an email header

and then spice up the archives display to show that somehow.  But the
chances of getting people to use that consistently is pretty small.

Some kind of simple request tracker where you just forward all bugs that
you think need saving would also help.  You wouldn't need to copy all
the follow-up there; it would only serve as a pointer into the archives.

In fact, all you need is

CREATE TABLE bugs (
   nr int
);

and an interface to display that and add to that.