Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff)..

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff)..
Date: 2009-08-10 16:24:51
Lists: pgsql-www
On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 10:16 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:

> > FYI, my view is that we should include any training events in which
> > PostgreSQL is a part of the technology stack and will be used directly
> > in some way. It helps show the visitors to our site the diverse range
> > of activities and applications in use around the project. If you see
> > what I mean :-)
> >

> The problem I see is that it opens the events page up to lots of things
> that are fairly unrelated to PostgreSQL.  For example, a Python course
> that teaches users how to interface with PostgreSQL, a PHP course that
> does the same, Perl training, etc...
>
> IMHO, people who go to the training page are looking for PostgreSQL
> training, they might be discouraged by a large number of "noise" courses
> that are barely related to PostgreSQL.  I think it's unlikely that
> someone would browse to that page to see "how diverse the range of
> activities are"....  It's unlikely that someone would go to the
> PostgreSQL.org site looking for MapServer training....

Well we are an inclusive community, which means if it pertains to
PostgreSQL we list it. However, I definitely think we need some way to
delineate if it is a "PostgreSQL" training or a secondary training that
includes PostgreSQL such as you list above.

Not sure how best to do that.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Chander Ganesan
> Open Technology Group, Inc.
> One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
> Morrisville, NC 27560
> 919-463-0999/877-258-8987
> http://www.otg-nc.com

   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997