Re: pg_dump warning message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump warning message
Date: 2004-04-12 18:36:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com> writes:
> The pg_dump switches indicate a "custom" file format, and the output file
> is a standard plain-text UNIX file.
> Nevertheless, when the export runs, it throws this warning for each
> database instance:
> pg_dump: [archiver] WARNING: requested compression not available in this
> installation - archive will be uncompressed

This indicates that you built Postgres without compression support (no zlib).
The default for -Fc format, however, is to compress, and you get this
bleat because it can't do so.  I think you can suppress the bleating by
adding "-Z 0" to the switches ... but it might be better to install zlib
and rebuild.