Re: Re: timestamps cannot be created without time zones

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rainer Mager" <rmager(at)vgkk(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: timestamps cannot be created without time zones
Date: 2001-09-14 14:41:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Rainer Mager" <rmager(at)vgkk(dot)com> writes:
>> Apparently at ever older date (around
>> 10,000 BC I
>> believe) the seconds are dropped.

You do realize that timestamps are floating point seconds relative to AD
2000, and so the accuracy decreases as you get further away from current
time?

>> The output from the code is (the computer's time was 03:23:49):
>>
>> 1850-Jan-01 03:23:49 JST
>> 1850-Jan-01 06:23:49 JST

I don't believe that Postgres will associate any timezone at all with
timestamps outside the range of the underlying OS' timezone database.
I get just

regression=# select '1850-Jan-01 03:23:49'::timestamp;
?column?
1850-01-01 03:23:49
(1 row)

I'd say the problem here is on the Java side: something on the client
side is inappropriately attaching a timezone to a value that should not
have one. Possibly you should take this up on pgsql-jdbc; or perhaps
it's a problem with the Java datetime datatypes you are using.