Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 16:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Now that 8.4.0 is out the door, development for 8.5devel will be opened any
> > day now.  But we haven't discussed the development timeline so far.  The core
> > team has several proposals:
> > [ details snipped ]
>
> ISTM there are two critical decisions here: when's the first commitfest,
> and when's the target release date?  There's already been considerable
> chatter about the first decision, but not much about the second.
>
> I would like to propose aiming for a release around April/May 2010 ...
> "in time for PGCon" if you like, but the main point is to have it out
> before people start disappearing for summer break.  We've already run
> into problems with scheduling the 8.4 release because of that.

I generally agree with this however why not just have a "When it is
done?". Let's hit some commitfests and some time near the end of the
year start discussing Beta and release.

We are not a company. We don't have a deadline. Why can't we just
develop and say, "Yeah, this looks like it would make a substantive
release."?

Joshua D. Drake

   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997