Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pre-proposal: permissions made easier
Date: 2009-06-28 21:57:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:23 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I do to some degree share Tom's worry that this is an idiosyncratic
> solution to a tiny subset of the problem space.

I share the concern. However, I don't know if it's a "tiny subset" or
not; I think we'll have to get some feedback from users to really know.

> On the other hand, I
> have to admit I've needed to do this exact thing, so I wrote a script
> to issue the necessary grant statements.  Then I discovered that
> whenever I created any new objects (most frequently drop and recreate
> of any of the relevant views) the permissions got screwed up, so I
> crontabbed the script to run every 20 minutes.  This works, but it
> doesn't bleed elegance.

I have written scripts to handle some of this in the past, and it's
always awkward. That's what made me start thinking about alternatives.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis