Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Andy Shellam <andy-lists(at)networkmail(dot)eu>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable
Date: 2009-06-16 16:58:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 17:46 +0100, Andy Shellam wrote:

> As Konstantin mentioned in another e-mail, PostgreSQL is normally
> compiled from source and installed
> into /usr/local/postgres-<version>.

Actually the "default" is /usr/local/pgsql , which means it still could
be overwritten ;)

Anyway, we are talking about an issue which should never ever happen, if
docs were read. I announced -devel RPMs lots of times, and each one
included a notice for dump/reload action.

BTW, I was intending to introduce multiple version installation with
RPMs with 8.4, but it is already pushed to 8.5.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com