Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-05-28 16:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 17:50 +0200, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> I think it's a step forward, maybe not sufficient for you but I prefer
> the situation now than before. It's safer because of the principle of
> least surprise: I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't even think that
> the last WAL file was systematically missing.

If I hadn't spoken out, I think you would have assumed you were safe and
so would everybody else. Time is saved only if you perform the step
manually - if time saving was your objective you should have been using
a script in the first place. If you're using a script, carry on using
it: nothing has changed, you still need to check.

> As Heikki stated it, if you have concrete proposals of how we can fix
> the other corner cases, we're all ears. Considering my current level
> of knowledge, that's all I can do by myself.

I'm not sure there is a solution even. Fixing a broken archive_command
is not something PostgreSQL can achieve, by definition.

It's good you submitted a patch, I have no problem there, BTW, but
applying a patch during beta, should either fix the problem or not be
applied at all.