Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions
Date: 2009-05-28 01:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, what I gathered was that that's not changing any basic semantic
> guarantees (and therefore is okay to control as a GUC). But I haven't
> read the paper so maybe I'm missing something.

On second read of this comment:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg01128.php

it says "reduce the frequency of serialization anomalies", which doesn't
necessarily mean that it makes new guarantees, I suppose. I should have
gone to the original source.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because apparently that's just a possible
step along the way toward true serializability, and doesn't need to be
separately distinguished.

Regards,
Jeff Davis