Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o
Date: 2006-06-03 02:27:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I was looking at this todo item and I was wondering why we want to do
>> this? I have had to use -o -P on many occassion and was wondering if
>> there is something new to replace it in newer PostgreSQL?

> Keep in mind that postgres (the standalone backend) is not the same as
> postmaster, and that the options are case sensitive :-)

Actually, the TODO item is very badly worded.  The idea is to get rid of
the spelling differences between postmaster and postgres options, and
then there will be no need for '-o' because you'll just say what you
want --- that is, "-o -foo" and "-foo" will be interchangeable.

Peter posted some preliminary work along this line a couple months ago,
but seems to have gotten stalled by lack of Windows testing.