Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date: 2009-05-15 17:18:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 11:19 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I don't mean that it has bugs. I mean that it's far too easy to get it
> wrong and far too hard to get it right. I have reduced my uses to a
> couple of cases where I have worked out, with some trial and error,
> recipes that I follow. If I find these facilities complex to use, and I
> make virtually 100% of my living working with Postgres, what are more
> ordinary users going to say? That's why I think we need at the very
> least some tools for supporting the most common use cases, and hiding
> the messy details.

I've never had a private comment complaining about the facilities in a
general way except from you and Josh Drake, though obviously I field
bugs and questions from users frequently. I regularly get emails saying
thanks, easy to use, much easier to manage than any other form of
replication. Most frequent comment is "I was told it was really hard,
but I see now that it is easy to understand and use".

People with HA or backup experience from other databases usually have no
problem understanding the concepts or the implementation.

> And no, I haven't even begun to think of what such tools might look like.

That's OK. Wanting it to be different is the first step. I want to
improve it as well, though without removing features.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com