Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date: 2009-05-15 11:56:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 20:38 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> > The probe in findNewestTimeLine() initialized to recovery target timeline +
> > 1. It doesn't require history files for any old timelines to be present.
>
> What if recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'? The unexpected (not latest)
> recovery target timeline might be chosen when some timeline history
> files don't exist.
>
> > The
> > purpose of findNewestTimeLine() is to ensure that if you e.g recover to a
> > point in time in timeline 5, and there's already WAL files for timelines 6
> > and 7 in the archive, we pick a unique timeline id.
>
> When only the history file for timeline 6 is deleted, timeline 6 would be
> assigned as the newest one *again* at the end of archive recovery.
> Is this safe?

Yeh, those cases screw us up. I'm sure we can think of others, I had
time to analyse things in more detail. I'd be happier with the general
assessment that "it's unsafe to keep history files in the archive".

My suggestion is that we keep history files in a new directory under the
data directory. That way they get copied as part of the base backup,
rather than sent off to the archive where DBAs can have mad moments and
delete all, or worse, just some of them. Implementation for this
proposal is really easy and safe for where we are now: we just access
the appropriate local directory. Call it pg_history or pg_timeline etc..
Not under pg_xlog!

There is no particular reason to send history files to the archive,
since new ones are only ever generated at the end of an archive
recovery.

Now that we increment the timeline more often this is a more visible
problem than previously.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com