Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: Ries van Twisk <pg(at)rvt(dot)dds(dot)nl>, Jan Muhammad <janmuhd(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-05-08 14:42:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 10:19 -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 09:58:04AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Because "users" shouldn't compile. The commands aren't relevant. If
> > possible you should *always* run from your package manager.
>
> don't you need root to do package management? Maybe that is just
> Red Hat like. Hmm, not on OS X.

You need at least sudo yes but then again, if you don't have that level
of authority on the machine, you shouldn't be installing the software in
the first place.

> > * Why
> > * Why should I have to configure a custom init.d script so my
> > PostgreSQL will start?
>
> to gain control over the system issue. From my perspective pg has always
> been at the enterprise layer,

This surprises me a bit. In my experience Enterprises don't compile from
source and those that do, push it into a package so they can manage it.

Wait... there is one place in the "enterprise" where I could see this
being the case. Places that are running legacy systems like AIX or HPUX
that don't necessarily even have a proper package management system.

> so sysadmin/dba are on the hook. Those guys
> don't like to hand over control to anyone, and therefore the commands
> are relevant.

Wow, I really wouldn't want to work where ever it is you work :)

> Isn't that why they are in the manual.

No. They are in the manual because we don't want to bloat the manual out
with how to install postgresql on 12 different platforms.

> I see where you are coming from, standardization in order to lower
> maintenance costs. Maybe the install guide needs a branch per your
> approach? The fact that this thread exists might be a testimony to
> that.

Actually I think we need a place on the wiki for it because it is fairly
dynamic.

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997