Re: Any better plan for this query?..

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Date: 2009-05-07 12:21:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:58 +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:

> It would be nice if we were in the same ballpark as MySQL but we would only be
> interesting in such optimizations if they don't come at the expense of
> scalability under more complex workloads.

It doesn't appear there is a scalability issue here at all.

Postgres can clearly do the same query in about the same time.

We just have a case where MySQL happens to optimise it well and Postgres
doesn't. Since we can trivially design cases that show the opposite I'm
not worried too much.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com