Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside
Date: 2004-10-30 20:07:22
Lists: pgsql-general

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se wrote:
>> Replication is one subsystem not included in source tree. But PostgreSQL
>> has other subsystems that are included such as plugins for procedural
>> languages. So isn't the same risks involved with them?

> Yes, which is why you will find that several of them are 'outside
> projects' for development purposes ...

We have been trying to "push out" anything that is not fairly tightly
tied to the core backend, enough so that it's easier to maintain with
the backend than separately. The PL languages are in a gray area, but
for the most part it seems better to treat them as part of the core for
maintenance purposes. They tend to need fixed whenever we make any
changes to internal backend APIs. (See for instance discussion just now
in pghackers with Thomas Hallgren --- if PL/Java had been part of the
core distro then he'd not now be playing catchup to make it work with
8.0 CVS tip...)