Re: pgUS at pgDay San Jose?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgUS at pgDay San Jose?
Date: 2009-05-06 01:23:05
Lists: pgus-general

> JD,
>
> > So Richard would you be up for the Sunday before? Josh how were you
> > thinking PgUS could participate and/or support SFPUG for this?
>
> That seems hard on Richard. We have enough people that surely someone
> else who can afford to stay for OSCON can come.
>
> I'm not sure how exactly you'd participate; that would be up to you. If
> I had a clear idea of what pgUS was supposed to do outside of organizing
> events, I'd have run for the board. ;-)

If there is something that is unclear about our mission I invite you to
ask. I mentioned on this thread, PgUS will assist SFPUG in any way they
need (providing we actually can). We are here to support SFPUG as it is
a U.S. based PostgreSQL User Group.

I am not attending and have not heard anything about any strategy for
the San Jose PgDay. As such it is a little difficult for me to define
how we should participate in this event. That is why I was hoping you
had and idea of how you would like to shape things.

Is there a theme for this PgDay? Are you marketing it only locally or
are we trying to reach out to the whole of the OSCON audience? Do you
expect that people will come to OSCON for the PgDay? What size do you
expect the PgDay to be? Will this be a conference within itself or are
we looking at essentially a large user group meeting? Do we want to bill
it as Pg Summer Days?

Are we able to allow people to attend for free? If so perhaps reaching
out to the local Universities/Colleges would be useful? See if we can
get some young blood in the room? Do you know who is speaking yet? Do we
have more than one room? If so perhaps we could arrange for some
training along with the talks?

The idea door is pretty much wide open on this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997