Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2010-08-09 19:25:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here is a patch for host name support in pg_hba.conf.

My recollection is that the previous discussions got stuck on the cost
of doing DNS lookups for every connect; and the obvious solution of
trying to cache the names was shot down on the basis of not knowing when
to flush the cache. Have you decided that people who want this feature
will just have to pay that cost? If so, I think the documentation needs
to be a bit more explicit about names being more expensive than IP
addresses in pg_hba.conf.