Re: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol changes
Date: 1998-04-30 15:16:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SARZ <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at> writes:
> One idea strikes me though:
> A standard ODBC Call Level Interface exists !
> Why not try to get the ideas for libpq from there ? Maybe we could even
> implement those same functions.

Hmm. If we wanted to completely redesign the libpq API, and thereby
break every frontend application there is, this'd be a good idea.
I wasn't looking to do that. I figured an incremental improvement
to libpq was what was called for.

However, there's nothing stopping someone from producing a brand new
frontend library, which applications could migrate to over time.
(Or more likely, new apps would be written to the new API while old
ones stick with what works...)

regards, tom lane

PS: Thanks for the pointer to PVM; looks interesting.