Re: SQL With Dates

From: "Mark Lewis" <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: "Rafael Domiciano" <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL With Dates
Date: 2009-04-20 20:04:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

It sounds like what you're doing is comparing the planner's cost
estimate from running EXPLAIN on a few different queries. The planner's
cost estimate was never intended to do what you're trying to do; it's
not an absolute scale of cost, it's just a tool that the planner uses to
get relative comparisons of logically equivalent plans.

The actual number that the planner spits out is meaningless in an
absolute sense. It's entirely possible that one query with an estimated
cost of 10000 will run faster than a query with an estimated cost of
100. What you actually need to do is compare the real running time of
the queries in order to see which ones are actually problematic.

For that, you'd do better using a tool like pgFouine to look at actual
performance trends.

-- Mark