Calling functions indirectly using their name

From: evertcarton(at)netscape(dot)net (Evert Carton)
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Calling functions indirectly using their name
Date: 2002-10-22 16:44:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

(I also posted this question to usenet: comp.databases.postgresql.novice)

Hi all,

I was wondering ?

Is there a way to call a function if you have it's oid or it's name, but call it indirectly ?

What I'm trying to achieve is the following :

I'd like to store a reference (the OID, or the name, since OID's can change) to an existing stored procedure in a table.
The referenced function/procedure would then be called by triggers.
Different records can point to the same procedure, and there can be a whole lot of procedures, and they will probably be in different languages, some SQL, some PGPLSQL, some C or TCL.

Is there a way to call a referenced function ?
Or am I taking a silly approach ...

Any help, pointers to documentation, ... would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Evert Carton
Medical Research Laboratories