Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release
Date: 2009-03-31 17:50:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> > I used this text for the top of the 8.4 release note; it highlights
> > targeted development and recently-adopted SQL-standard features.
> >
> >      After many years of development,<productname>PostgreSQL</>  has
> >      become feature-complete in many areas.   This release shows a
> >      targeted approach to adding features (e.g. authentication,
> >      monitoring, space reuse), and adds capabilities defined in the
> >      later SQL standards;  the major areas of enhancement are:
>
> Yeah, I don't know that "maturity" is a sexy message for a press
> release, though.

Just brainstorming:

WITH RECURSIVE and window functions could both fall into an "analytics"
theme of some kind. That doesn't tell the whole story, though.

Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are very
important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound exciting
(other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting without
numbers).

Regards,
	Jeff Davis