Re: git: uh-oh

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-25 05:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. The new conversion seems to have stolen the apostrophe from "D'Arcy
> J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>", rendering him "DArcy J.M. Cain
> <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>".

Yeah, I see that too. It's probably bad input rather than the
converter's fault ;-)

> 2. Any non-ASCII characters in, for example, contributor's names show
> up differently in the two repos. Generally, the original repo is OK
> and the new repo is garbled; although I found one very old example
> that went the other way.

What it looks like to me is that a Latin1->UTF8 conversion has been
applied to the log text. Which might be a good idea if it all *was*
Latin1, but a fair-sized percentage isn't. Applying this conversion to
UTF8 entries results in garbage, of course. Even if this could be done
reliably, I think this counts as editorializing on the historical
record, and should be switched off if possible.

> There are also a number of commits that differ in order between the
> two repos, and an even larger number where commits are duplicated or
> merged in one repository relative to the other.

I suspect that this is an artifact of the converter trying to merge
nearby commits into one commit, which it more or less *has* to do for
sanity since CVS commits aren't atomic. I don't have a problem with
the concept, but I notice cases where the converted commit has a
timestamp some minutes later than what the cvs2cl output claims.
I suspect this is what the converter was using as a cutoff time.
Would it be possible to make sure that the converted commit is always
timestamped with the latest individual file update timestamp from the
included CVS commits?