Re: xpath processing brain dead

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: xpath processing brain dead
Date: 2009-02-27 20:58:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:51 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > What I have proposed for 8.3 should not break a single case that currently
> > behaves usefully. If anyone has a counter-example please show it.
> >
> > What I have proposed for 8.4 possibly would break current "useful" behaviour
> > (FSVO "useful"), but should be done anyway on correctness grounds.
>
> I dunno, aren't XML document fragments sort of a pretty common case?

I'd rather argue that xml datatype should not even accept anything but
complete xml documents. Same as int field does not accept int[].

Or maybe we rather need separate xmldocument and xmlforest/xmlfragments
types in next releases and leave the "base" xml as it is but deprecated
due to inability to fix it without breaking backwards compatibility.

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability