Re: xpath processing brain dead

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: xpath processing brain dead
Date: 2009-02-27 20:58:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:51 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > What I have proposed for 8.3 should not break a single case that currently
> > behaves usefully. If anyone has a counter-example please show it.
> >
> > What I have proposed for 8.4 possibly would break current "useful" behaviour
> > (FSVO "useful"), but should be done anyway on correctness grounds.
> I dunno, aren't XML document fragments sort of a pretty common case?

I'd rather argue that xml datatype should not even accept anything but
complete xml documents. Same as int field does not accept int[].

Or maybe we rather need separate xmldocument and xmlforest/xmlfragments
types in next releases and leave the "base" xml as it is but deprecated
due to inability to fix it without breaking backwards compatibility.

Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
   Services, Consulting and Training