Re: predicate locking knowledge

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: predicate locking knowledge
Date: 2006-03-23 20:09:44
Lists: pgsql-patches
> Attached is a patch for the documentation.  We currently state that we
> don't know of any production DBMS which uses predicate locking.  Current
> versions of at least two commercial products (Sybase ASE and Microsoft
> SQL Server) do use it.

Are they actually doing fully-general predicate locks (able to cope with
arbitrary predicate conditions), or merely index range locks?  I don't
mind expanding the docs, but the context of the statement is the cost of
doing general predicate locking, and pointing to DBMSes that do a subset
case doesn't make that statement invalid.