Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-02-26 07:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:11 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Heikki,
>
> > Agreed. Simon has finished the pending items he had four weeks ago, but
> > the code clearly isn't ready for commit yet as new issues are cropping
> > up. And I think the way subtransactions are handled, which has been a
> > difficult part of the patch all along, still needs more thinking.
>
> Are there issues other than subtransactions?

I think his reply states that. The long and short is, what Tom was
concerned about is true and Heikki has confirmed it. This patch as nice
as it would be to have, isn't ready for prime time. It is time to push
this patch to 8.5, close up the rest of whatever is left with other
patches and move to Beta.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> --Josh

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997