Re: pl/php for windows

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)morphoss(dot)com>
To: "Rodrigo E(dot) De" León Plicet <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/php for windows
Date: 2009-02-19 10:21:28
Lists: pgsql-php
On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 01:34 -0500, Rodrigo E. De León Plicet wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> wrote:
> > (...) we have a company policy forbidding stored procedures (...)
>
> Why would that be?
>
> Just curious...

I can't speak for Bob, and they probably have different reasons, but
personally I almost always only write stored procedures in SQL or
PL/PgSQL, and I think very hard about it before deciding to do so, and
try and be careful to design to a minimal functionality that can then be
used in normal SQL.

There can be memory effects from loading a large interpreter into a
PostgreSQL client, which can cause pain if you have many connections,
but mostly I don't trust the software versions to become wildly out of
sync and multiply the installation & maintenance complexity.

PostgreSQL also can have some problems planning queries containing
functions.

... that said, I *have* written a set of functions in PL/PgSQL for
parsing iCalendar RRULE + DTSTART into a SETOF TIMESTAMP.  Just purely
for giggles, of course :-)

Cheers,
					Andrew.

PS.  In a past life I was responsible for maintaining an application
written entirely in Oracle's PL/SQL.  I don't ever want to repeat that,
so that probably imposes a bias of sorts too!

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
       You never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems.