Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-03 21:27:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 22:48 +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
> > - Managing jobs (e.g. - "pgcron")
>
> A number of people have mentioned a job scheduler. I think a job scheduler
> entirely inside Postgres would be a terrible idea.

You probably should explain why you think that rather than just rule it
out, though I don't think we should be editing what people ask for.

We already have autovacuum, which runs VACUUM and ANALYZE to a set
schedule. We could have kept that outside core, but didn't.

It's not too big a stretch to imagine we could redesign autovacuum as a
GP scheduler, with autovacuum as just one/two regular scheduled jobs.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com