Re: lazy_truncate_heap()

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lazy_truncate_heap()
Date: 2009-01-01 17:57:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 12:00 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
> >
> > On 31 Dec 2008, at 13:21, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Both of these bugs are minor, but the effect of either/both of them is
> >> to cause more AccessExclusiveLocks than we might expect.
> >>
> >> For Hot Standby this means that many VACUUMs take AccessExclusiveLocks
> >> on relations, which would potentially lead to having queries cancelled
> >> for no reason at all.
> >
> > Well by default it would just cause wal to pause briefly until the
> > queries with those locks finish, no?
>
> Wait a minute. Why does an AccessExclusiveLock lead to cancelled queries
> or pausing WAL application? I thought it'd just block other queries
> trying to acquire a conflicting lock in the standby, just like holding
> an AccessExclusiveLock on the primary does. It's unrelated to the xmin
> horizon issue.

Yes, it is unrelated to the xmin horizon issue. There are two reasons
for delaying WAL apply:
* locks
* xmin horizon

When a lock is acquired on the primary it almost always precedes an
action which cannot occur concurrently. For example, if VACUUM did
truncate a table then queries could get errors because parts of their
table disappear from under them. Others are drop table etc..