Re: When to hold Pg East

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to hold Pg East
Date: 2008-12-11 18:38:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 10:20 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> In terms of people who want to attend both, but need to ask their boss's
> permission, I think there *is* a difference between "2 weeks" vs. "over
> a month". The likelihood that any boss would pay for his staff member
> to go to two different PostgreSQL conferences in the same month is very
> low. If, however, the two conferences are more than a month apart, in
> different quarters, it's an easier sell.

Yeah that is certainly true. I sometimes forget that I am not bound by
those rules. The other side of the coin though is, generally speaking
only one of the conferences is going to be truly applicable to whoever
is going.

Ottawa has a very cool niche. It generally applies to -hacker type
material. East/West generally applies to -general type material. That is
why the crossover is so slim. There are of course exceptions which is
why I say, "generally".

> And while the attendees who do both are not the majority, they are a
> significant number and are probably dedicated community members, so we
> ought to at least think of them.

I am not saying not to consider them. We do, like I said in the other
post we went through great pains to try and not compete with Ottawa last
year. I think we succeed in that and would like to ensure that happens
again.

> -- Having a conference in the East every 6 months, instead of two in 2
> months and then nothing for 10 months, would help keep interest in PG up
> year-round in the Eastern US

Well this easily solved any number of ways. Not the least of which is
just having PgDay now and again. Its just a matter of getting it done. I
have already mentioned in another reply looking at that possibility once
we get East nailed down.

> -- You might attend pgCon, learn from how Dan runs his conferences,
> solicit for pg.US and the next East (I can dream, can't I?)

As I have said, many, many times before. I can't attend Ottawa until (I
think 2011, maybe 2010) because of the dates he holds them. For those
that care, Ottawa is held during the birthday week. Mine, My Wife's and
my two daughters have their birthdays all in one week time in late May.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/