Re: New trigger file in pg_standby to promote the standby to the primary

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New trigger file in pg_standby to promote the standby to the primary
Date: 2008-11-27 19:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 00:03 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> In current pg_standby, the presence of the trigger file causes
> recovery to end whether or not the next WAL file is available.
> Thereby, some transactions in the available WAL files will be
> lost. So, we cannot use this trigger file to promote the standby
> to the primary.
>
> I'd like to add new trigger file option into pg_standby, and end
> recovery after redoing all the available WAL files. Concretely
> speaking, I would always make pg_standby look for the trigger
> file after trying to restore the WAL file once. If the trigger file
> is present, pg_standby exits immediately without deleting the
> trigger file. Subsequent pg_standby uses the existing trigger
> file.
>
> This option is also useful for warm-standby.
>
> Any comments welcome!

Yes, it was on my todo. Happy for you to do it if you have time.

Sometimes we want fast failover, sometimes we want complete catchup. So
my solution is to put a message in the trigger file to say which one we
want.

Happy for the default to change to "complete catchup".

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com