Re: Can't install PG on a Windows Domain Controller

From: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
To: "Abraham, Danny" <danny_abraham(at)bmc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, dabraham(at)Bmc(dot)com
Subject: Re: Can't install PG on a Windows Domain Controller
Date: 2008-11-23 16:34:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 03:06 -0600, Abraham, Danny wrote:
> Since PG requires a local (weak) user to own the service,
> And since a DC cannot have local user,
> Can I assume that we cannot install PG on a Windows DC?

Nope; a domain user is effectively a "local" user when on a domain
controller, so as long as you're okay with the user being in your domain
it'll work fine.

> We are on PG V8.2.4.

BTW, since this is evidently a new install, why not go directly to
8.2.11? (Or 8.3?)

... Hmm, or is this an existing PG install on a server being promoted to
a domain controller? If it's in an existing domain it'll wipe your
local user list, of course, but once the account is recreated it
shouldn't have any problem.

> Thanks
>
> Danny Abraham

- Josh Williams