Re: Reliably determining whether the server came up

From: Mischa Sandberg <mischa_sandberg(at)telus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliably determining whether the server came up
Date: 2008-11-18 05:38:44
Lists: pgsql-admin
Comment below:

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 12:29 -0800, Mischa Sandberg wrote:
>> Quoting "H. Hall" <hhall1001(at)reedyriver(dot)com>:
>>> Why don't you try to create a connection to a db on each server?
>> Thanks, but that only tells me if the server is up at the time of trying
>> to connect.
> Actually it doesn't. If you are using any standard library to connect if
> the server is not ready to accept connections, it will tell you when you
> connect. If the server failed to come up, you won't get a connection at
> all, if you try to connect and you are able to connect but not initiate
> a session and appropriate response will be sent.
> Joshua D. Drake
Exactly. :-)
Also, once you take a look at your solution code a light bulb may go
off. Hey! This code could also be used to test the health of my db
servers during production!  If I just execute it in a timer thread . . .
--cheers, HH
H. Hall
ReedyRiver Group LLC

Well, I'll look further at it. I originally did start with

   while pg_ctl status && ! psql -l; do nothing; done

The cases I've had to catch include:

- startup so slow that has still not been created when
the first pg_ctl status exits, returning 'no server'.

- a pg_xlog drive going sour (some low-end hardware is, well, crap),
  so pg_ctl status says server is up but connects get
  'FATAL:  the database system is shutting down' forever.

... and I'm guessing that other server failure states will produce
other messages (with FATAL not always meaning real fatality).
Engineers think that equations approximate reality.
Physicists think that reality approximates the equations.
Mathematicians never make the connection.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Mischa SandbergDate: 2008-11-18 06:17:07
Subject: Re: restore failure