Re: Reliably determining whether the server came up

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mischa Sandberg <mischa_sandberg(at)telus(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliably determining whether the server came up
Date: 2008-11-15 20:31:55
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 12:29 -0800, Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> Quoting "H. Hall" <hhall1001(at)reedyriver(dot)com>:
>

> > Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> > > I've been trying to work out a reliable script to determine,
> > > after pg_ctl start, that the server is done attempting
> > > to come up, and that it has either succeeded OR FAILED.
> > > This is for several hundred unattended appliance-type servers,
> > > currently on PG 8.0 but soon to be on 8.3
> > >

> > Why don't you try to create a connection to a db on each server?
>
> Thanks, but that only tells me if the server is up at the time of trying
> to connect.

Actually it doesn't. If you are using any standard library to connect if
the server is not ready to accept connections, it will tell you when you
connect. If the server failed to come up, you won't get a connection at
all, if you try to connect and you are able to connect but not initiate
a session and appropriate response will be sent.

Joshua D. Drake