Re: Pre-forking backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bradley McLean <brad(at)bradm(dot)net>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-forking backend
Date: 2001-09-30 17:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bradley McLean <brad(at)bradm(dot)net> writes:
> Is it useful if it only works for one database within a server?

Once we have schemas (7.3, I hope), I think a lot of installations will
have only one production database. However, if we were going to do this
what we'd probably do is allow the DBA to configure the postmaster to
start N pre-forked backends per database, where N can depend on the
database. There's no reason to limit it to just one database.