Re: array_agg and array_accum (patch)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: array_agg and array_accum (patch)
Date: 2008-11-03 03:22:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's an updated patch for just array_accum() with some simple docs. If
I should document this in more places, let me know.

I decided not to include array_agg() in this patch because it doesn't
support the standard's ORDER BY clause.

My reasoning is that, if someone is using the standard array_agg() and
porting to PostgreSQL, there's a fairly high chance they would be using
the ORDER BY clause as well, due to the nature of the function. If not,
and they really want a function called array_agg that returns NULL on no
input, it would be trivial to just create an extra final function that
behaved that way and create a new aggregate.

However, if people want me to put array_agg() back in I will.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
array_accum.patch.gz application/x-gzip 1.8 KB