Dump & Load a database???

From: smiley2211 <smiley2211(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dump & Load a database???
Date: 2007-08-21 14:50:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

I am new to POSTGRESQL and I am trying to dump and load a database...using
the steps below I get DUP errors when trying to LOAD the file into an
existing database...

Do I have to DROP \ recreate and load the target database (this is what I
currently do)? is there a way to just do an IN PLACE load like in other
RDBMS environments???

pg_dump proddb | gzip > proddb_082107.sql.gz

gunzip < proddb_082107.sql.gz | psql -d testdb -f -

Thanks,
Michelle.