Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec()
Date: 1998-04-30 14:52:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> No reason for the exec().  I believe the only advantage is that it gives
>> us a separate process name in the 'ps' listing.  I have looked into
>> simulating this.
> 	Under FreeBSD, there is:
> setproctitle(3) - set the process title for ps 1
> 	This isn't available under Solaris though, last I checked...

Setting the process title from C is messy, but there is a readily
available reference.  The Berkeley sendmail distribution includes code
to emulate setproctitle on practically every platform.  See conf.h and
conf.c in any recent sendmail release.  Warning: it's grotty enough to
make a strong man weep.  Don't read near mealtime ;-)