Re: BUG #5447: VPATH install postgres.bki

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Graham <lists(at)information-cascade(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #5447: VPATH install postgres.bki
Date: 2010-05-04 14:49:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Graham wrote:
>> Build with VPATH works well upto installing
>> postgresql-9.0beta1/src/backend/catalog/postgres.bki
>> which is in the source tree not the object tree

> Strange.  I always use VPATH builds and I've never seen this problem.  I
> only use CVS checkouts though.  Maybe something is broken in the
> tarball.  I'll have a look this afternoon is no one beats me to it.

I don't think anyone has tried a VPATH build starting from a
distribution tarball.  The OP is correct that things are going to fall
over in that case.  My thought about fixing it was that postgres.bki
and related files ought to be forced to be built/used in $(srcdir),
but I didn't get further than that.  Peter, what do you think?