Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager
Date: 2008-10-28 23:58:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 16:50 -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com (Martin Pihlak) writes:
> > Tons of details have been omitted, but should be enough to start discussion.
> > What do you think, does this sound usable? Suggestions, objections?
>
> Slony-I does some vaguely similar stuff in its handling of "connection paths"; here's the schema:

I think the whole issue was initially raised by "insecurity", as dblink
conrib module exposed connection strings to all users, and SQL/MED was
seen as a "standard" way to hide it.

The simple credentials hiding could of course be achieved by having
something similar to pg_user/pg_shadow and some SECURITY DEFINER
functions for actually opening the connections, but probably it seemed
easier to at least base it on standards, so we can actually start with

pg_remote_server table public
pg_user_mapping_shadow table (restricted)/ pg_user_mapping view(public)

and some functions with proper grants to match the subset that Martin
outlined in http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SqlMedConnectionManager

if we've got that working, then we could move to massaging it into the
parser to provide standard SQL/MED syntax.

so I think that first we should agree on functionality and get the few
system (?) tables and functions done, and worry about parser changes
once the actual functionality is field tested.

Hannu Krosing http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
Services, Consulting and Training