Re: combining tables

From: "G(dot) J(dot) Walsh" <gjwalsh(at)dscdirectionalservices(dot)com>
To: Cliff Nieuwenhuis <cliff(at)nieusite(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: combining tables
Date: 2008-10-26 05:26:56
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi, Cliff,  and thanks for offering your help.

All possible keys are in the main table.

The remaining tables are organized the same way but are incomplete; they
lack some matching rows and or they lack some data. I thought it would
be better to combine the columns into 1 table because all the data is
available for search purposes without having to complicate a high volume
application with many shifting variables in the query. To arrive at this
stage I have already optimized nearly 400,00 lines of tab- delimited
text in 15 files (tables) to get to the present stage of 4 tables of
under 4,000 rows. Once established, the data will remain virtually
constant for a period of one year between scheduled updates.

So the answer to your question is 'yes', but that is only a 'side
benefit' as I see it. All of this comes from years of work with C-ISAM
which is why I am so unsure of working with unions and joins.

George