SIGKILL and force disconnecting user sessions

From: "Brian A(dot) Seklecki" <lavalamp(at)spiritual-machines(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIGKILL and force disconnecting user sessions
Date: 2008-09-22 13:43:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

This one really isn't in the docs, so we'll add it to the Wiki
afterwords, but:

We've got some shared PG instances with more than one production
application (yes, I know this is a bad practice, but virtualization
options are hit and miss).

We need to kill apache P-conn pools from a an application/web server
cluster for a specific database. We use a load-balancer, so we shut
down the HA L4 Service VIP that the web servers pconnect() to, to
prevent new incoming connections.

The problem is then net.inet.tcp.* timeouts. We need to cane existing
connections with a quickness, and pg_stat_activity is a read-only view.

We need to kill the stale pcons, so just:
$ pkill -a [database string]

The connection goes away as "Disconnected per admin command"

I just want to confirm:

1) There are no data consistency threats to SIGKIL a child thread
process? Transactions and locks will be handled gracefully?

2) There are no pgsql/admin level CLI builtin commands to do this in a
more graceful manor?