EXEC_BACKEND

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: EXEC_BACKEND
Date: 2008-09-16 19:32:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We keep talking about EXEC_BACKEND mode, though until recently I had
misunderstood what that meant. I also realised that I have more than
once neglected to take it into account when writing a patch - one recent
patch failed to do this.

I can't find anything coherent in docs/readme/comments to explain why it
exists and what its implications are. The why is "Windows", AFAICS, but
the full implications are far from clear in my blissful, mostly
Window-less world.

Can someone either point me to or write a coherent explanation of this,
so that we can add it to the code somewhere handy? I want to make sure
that everything I'm working on covers the main points the first time I
wrote code.

Thanks,

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com