Re: Flat File unload/export/copy

From: Steve T <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
Cc: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Flat File unload/export/copy
Date: 2008-09-12 16:10:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Regina,
I wasn't aware that you could!
I just tried and that syntax gave me an error:
rel_reinsure=# copy (select * from client where name like '%BERT%') to
'/tmp/stevet.clients';
ERROR: syntax error at or near "(" at character 6
LINE 1: copy (select * from client where name like '%BERT%') to '/tm...

- I can do though:
rel_reinsure=# copy client (recno,code,name) to '/tmp/stevet.clients';

... or select all columns, but that is 'too global' and I just want
'WHERE name LIKE '%BERT%' type syntax.

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 11:31 -0400, Obe, Regina wrote:

> And why can't you use copy?
>
> Something like below -
>
> COPY (SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE somevalue LIKE '%') TO
> '/path/to/textfile.csv'
>
> WITH NULL As 'NULL' CSV HEADER QUOTE AS '"';

Steve Tucknott
ReTSol Ltd

DDI: 01323 488548
Mobile: 0773 671 5772