Flat File unload/export/copy

From: Steve T <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Flat File unload/export/copy
Date: 2008-09-12 15:16:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Is there a command that copies data from a table to a flat file for
specified selection criteria?
IE akin to a copy but not dumping a whole file?
If I'm about to do a major change to data in a table, I'd like to be
able to keep a copy of the data before the change (I know I can
Begin...rollback should things go wrong).

Is there a command that I've missed? (Informix had an 'UNLOAD TO blah
SELECT blah..' type command which presumably was proprietary).